Friday, May 18, 2012

Genesis 3:17a

To Adam He said, "Because you listened to your wife..."

Ouch.  God is not saying woman should not have a voice.  Proverbs 31:26 says, "She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue."  God gave us wisdom.  He gave us minds with which to think and reason with which to discern.  We are not to be an altogether silent partner.

But Eve wasn't speaking with wisdom.  Her words led her husband into sin.  Adam should have stood firm and rejected what his wife had to say.  And Eve should have backed off and respected what Adam had to say. 

How often do I do that?  How often are my words full of foolishness and sin?  I should not be the little devil on my husband's shoulder saying "Oh, come on, it's not that big a deal.  Let's just do this one thing, this one time..."  If I want my voice and my feelings to be heard, I need to make sure that I'm speaking with wisdom.  I need to seek God's will and choose words that will bring my family closer to God, rather than farther away from Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment