Friday, May 11, 2012

Ezer

I've been thinking about what it looks like, practically, to be my husband's ezer.  Finding the definition is a good start, but how do I put it into practice?  Here are a few things I've come up with -

Work
- Thank him for the work he does and the way he provides for our family.
- Don't complain that the money he makes isn't enough, but be a faithful steward of what is provided.
- Encourage him by telling him how great he is at his job.
- Encourage him to do his work with integrity, even when it's difficult.
- Listen to his dreams when he talks about doing something else.

Family
- Don't ever talk negatively about him in front of the children.  If we have a disagreement regarding a parenting issue, settle it in private.
- Let the children see how much I appreciate him; let them hear my words of encouragement.
- Take notice when he goes out of his way to do something special with or for the kids. 
- Don't throw the children (and all the problems of the day) at him as soon as he comes in the door.  Give him a chance to unwind from his long day, too.
- Show respect for his family; make them a part of my own and treat them as such.

Home
- Work together on money issues; don't let them be divisive.
- Do what I can to make our home a place to relax; if I need help with something, ask instead of nagging.
- Before I get frustrated over something he did or didn't do, consider:  is it something he said he would do, or am I projecting my expectations onto him without clearly communicating my needs, and then getting mad when I'm disappointed?

Other people
- Encourage him to spend time with brothers in Christ, knowing how important that is to his spiritual growth.
- Never talk down about him, even jokingly, with others.  Build him up and let others see the respect I have for him.

Temptation
- If I know that he's struggling with something, help him fight it.  Don't let him drown on his own.
- Help him avoid stumbling blocks.
- Remember that I, too, am a sinner.  Forgive him when he falls.
- Don't bring up past hurts.  Remember that God's grace has already covered them.

Faith
- Encourage involvement in the church.
- Pray and read the Bible with him.
- If he's not leading, don't take his place.  However, when possible, draw him into spiritual discussions ("What do you think this verse means?" "What did you think of the sermon today?") and share prayer requests with him.
- Pray for him, every day, for all of these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment