Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Genesis 16:1-5

Now Sarai...said to Abram, "Go, sleep with my maidservant"...Then Sarai said to Abram, "You are responsible for the wrong I am suffering..."

The idea of a concubine may seem outlandish to us, but Sarai's reaction is all too familiar.  We women scheme or make plans - not always negative ones - and when they fall through, we turn on our husbands.  "It's your fault!"

Just yesterday I neglected to check the refrigerator before I made out my grocery shopping list.  Later when I found I didn't have what I needed to make supper, I blamed my husband.  "You ate the carrots I needed for the soup!"  Yes, he did.  But if I had done what I was supposed to do, I wouldn't have been caught shorthanded.  And seriously, even if he was entirely at fault, what's the point of casting blame?  Things happen.  I need to own up to my responsibility and fix the problem rather than point fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment