Thursday, May 10, 2012

Genesis 2:18

The Lord God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone.  I will make a helper suitable for him."

This has been my favorite since doing an in-depth study on the word "helper" a few years ago.
We have so maligned this word, but when you go back to the original, it's amazing.  The Hebrew word used here for "helper" is ezer.  It's found about two dozen other places in the Old Testament, most of the times referring to God, and frequently in a military-type context.  Look at Deuteronomy 33, for example:

Hear, O Lord, the cry of Judah...With his own hands he defends his cause.  Oh, be his help against his foes! (v. 7)
There is no one like the God of Jeshurun, Who rides on the heavens to help you... (v. 26)
He is your shield and helper, and your glorious sword (v. 33)

Want more examples?  Try Exodus 18:4, Deuteronomy 32:8, II Chronicles 32:8, Psalm 20:2, Psalm 33:20, Psalm 37:40, Psalm 70:5, Psalm 109:26, Psalm 115:9-11, Psalm 121:1-2, and Isaiah 41:10.

Pretty exciting.  Woman was not intended to be man's doormat.  She was created to fight alongside him, to strengthen and encourage him, to support him and be his biggest cheerleader and greatest ally.

And when we look at the context, it's interesting.  God placed man in the garden.  He also put the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil there.  And right after warning Adam about the Tree, He said, "It is not good for man to be alone."  It's like God was saying, "There's temptation out there.  Life isn't easy.  I don't want man to have to go it alone."  And His solution was woman.

Am I my husband's ezer?  I should be standing by his side, supporting him, fighting with him.  Or am I hindering him with my complaining, by neglecting his needs, by not stopping to consider his thoughts, feelings, and values?  It's a tough world, and I can either fight with my husband or against him.  I choose to be his ezer.



No comments:

Post a Comment