Monday, September 3, 2012

I Kings 21:4-7

So Ahab went home, sullen and angry because Naboth the Jezreelite had said, "I will not give you the inheritance of my fathers" ...  Jezebel his wife said, "Is this how you act as king over Israel?  Ge up and eat!  Cheer up.  I'll get you the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite."

Oh my.  First of all, here's hoping that none of us have to deal with a husband who pouts like a spoiled child when he doesn't get what he wants.  Ahab's behavior was far from stellar.

But let's take a look at Jezebel.  While we might not have to deal with childlike tantrums from our husbands, we probably have seen moments of discontent or discouragement.  Should we, in that moment, feed the pity party?  Should we do anything, at any cost, to give someone what he wants?  Our response to our husbands' low feelings have a huge effect on his self-esteem, as well as on the well-being of our families.

I believe the secret lies in thankfulness.  Rather than saying, "You're right.  You deserve the [new car, promotion, awesome vacation...] and come heck or high water I'll make sure you get it,"  we can turn the focus on what we do have.  "Yes, you have worked hard to earn that raise, and I appreciate all you've done.  But I am so thankful that God has blessed you with a job.  You're great at what you do and you are a really good provider."  "Yes, the Smith family has a beautiful new house.  But ours is just what we need and I'm thankful for it."  Don't feed the discontent.  Turn it into an opportunity to count your blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment