Friday, August 31, 2012

I Kings 17:10

So [Elijah] went to Zarephath.  When he came to the town gate, a widow was there gathering sticks.  He called to her and asked, "Would you bring me a little water in a jar so I may have a drink?"

I have to admit, hospitality is not my strong suit.  I am not a good cook and I'd rather do just about anything than clean.  I try to keep a box of brownie mix handy in case one of my children announces that they're bringing friends over, and then the poor kids feast on average-tasting brownies and microwave popcorn.  Other than my sister - who just helps herself to the meager findings in my kitchen - I haven't had a grown-up over for a visit in months (I'd say years, but we had some family stay with us when my older daughter graduated in June).

I like to brush this all aside with a "hospitality is NOT my spiritual gift".  I'll teach Sunday School.  I'll go to prayer meetings.  I'll write a blog.  But ask me to bring food to the potluck dinner and you'll probably get a "veggie tray" consisting of baby carrots and a plastic container of dip.  I Peter 4:10 says, " Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms."  But then I go back a verse, to the one that reads "Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling."  It's not really a suggestion; I think it's more of a command. 

So what does this mean to people like me, who has no idea what a white sauce is and doesn't own a functioning vacuum cleaner (I borrow one every couple of weeks)?  I think the widow shows us.  She didn't have much, but she gave what she had to Elijah.  My cupboards might not be as empty as hers, but my homemaking skills are pretty sparse.  Still, I can give what I have.  I can share the best of what I have with others and trust God to take care of the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment