Thursday, September 27, 2012

Proverbs

A quarrelsome wife is like a constant dripping. (19:13)
Better to live on the corner of the roof than share a house with a quarrelsome wife. (21:9 and 25:24)
Better to live in a desert than with a quarrelsome and ill-tempered wife.  (21:19)
A quarrelsome wife is like a constant dripping on a rainy day; restraining her is like restraining the wind or grasping oil with the hand.  (27:15-16)

Apparently Solomon didn't have a lot of patience for quarrelsome wives.  Our husbands shouldn't have to, either. 

The thing about being quarrelsome is that it is a choice.  You may not always agree with your husband, but how you choose to present your differing opinion can make all the difference in how peaceful your home is. 

Choose your battles.  Is it worth arguing about dirty socks on the floor?  How much time, really, does it take to pick them up for him?  If you truly feel it is something worth confronting him about, pick the setting carefully.  Don't air grievances in front of others.  Don't bring up the issue when you're angry or tired.  Don't pounce soon as he comes home from work. 

Choose your words.  "Honey, I was wondering if you would mind..." goes much further than "How many times do I have to tell you..." Don't attack him.  Aggression breeds aggression.  When a person is backed into a corner, he tends to come out fighting.  Remember that you are partners - you're there to support each other.

Choose not to nag.  Don't be a dripping faucet.  Nagging will not remove the socks from the floor, and it only leads to resentment.

Choose to stick to the issue at hand.  I think women, more so than men, tend to bring up past hurts, even when they have nothing to do with the present situation.  I remember a "discussion" with my husband in which I started to bring up something unrelated that he had done in the past.  I realized it would only serve to escalate the situation, but my mouth was about to move faster than my brain.  I quickly put my hand over my mouth and kept it there until I talked myself out of using the hurtful words.  If that's what is needed to keep the conversation civil, do it.  If you need to walk out of the room and finish the conversation later, do it.  Count to ten.  Think before you speak.  Ask God for wisdom.  One of my favorite prayers is "God, keep Your arm around my shoulders and Your hand over my mouth."



No comments:

Post a Comment